Tamayo y Baus, 4
Teléfono: 91 310 29 49
Metro: Colón, Banco de España y Chueca
Autobús: Líneas 5, 14, 27, 37, 45, 53 y 150
Aparcamientos: Marqués de la Ensenada, Plaza de Colón, Augusto Figueroa y Plaza del Rey
Acceso y Servicios para Discapacitados
Recinto equipado con un sistema de inducción magnética para transmisión de sonido a prótesis auditivas
Inaugurated on October 15, 1885, as the Teatro de la Princesa (Princesa Theatre) by Emilio Mario’s company, which performed the comedy Die and You’ll See by Bretón de los Herreros, and the one-act farce El Corral de Comedias (The Open-air Theatre), by Tomás Luceño. The premiere was attended by Queen María Cristina and the deposed Isabella II, as well as Princesses Isabella and Eulalia and a select representation of Spanish high society of the period. This momentous event fulfilled the expectations of the Marquis of Monasterio, who had ordered the building constructed in the hopes of making it the most select theatre of its day, dispensing with cheap seats and avoiding the rowdy crowd that caused much commotion and left little money at the box office. But the situation changed just a few weeks after the opening: after the death of King Alphonse XII, with the resulting mourning period in the Court and the forced seclusion of the Madrid aristocracy, a period of financial difficulties began for the Princesa Theatre.
As early as those twilight years of the 19th century, the figure of María Guerrero began to be associated with the stage that would eventually bear her name. In those days the actress had obtained the license to operate the Teatro Español (Spanish Theatre), owned by the Madrid city government, but the renovation work being done there obliged her to organize a brief season at the Princesa. And shortly thereafter, when the Teatro Español has reopened, the María Guerrero Company’s continuous American tours began to stand in the way of compliance with their contract with the city council. This moved Fernando Díaz de Mendoza, the actress’ husband, an actor in his own right and, above all, an impresario, to buy the Princesa Theatre so that he could alternate the company’s tours and its seasons in Madrid at his convenience.
Thus, on March 20, 1908, María Guerrero and Díaz de Mendoza became the owners of the Princesa Theatre. Under their management, the Princesa began a period of splendor marked by major premieres of works by such authors as Jacinto Benavente, Valle-Inclán, Muñoz Seca, Álvarez Quintero and Benito Pérez Galdós. At the same time, the couple continued with their American tours and embarked on the project of building the Cervantes Theatre in Buenos Aires, which seriously debilitated their finances and obliged them to move their Madrid household to the upper floors of the Princesa Theatre. And there they remained until the actress died on February 28, 1928.
After María Guerrero’s death, Spain’s national government acquired the building during the Primero de Rivera dictatorship and used it as the headquarters of the Conservatory of Music and Declamation, ceding it occasionally for theatre performances and charity festivals. In 1931, as a tribute to its former owner, the Madrid city council decided to change its name from the Princesa to the María Guerrero Theatre. In 1934 the government of the Second Republic offered Cipriano Rivas Cherif the concession for the theatre free of charge so that he could use it as the home of his Teatro Escuela de Arte (School of Art Theatre). After the outbreak of the Civil War, the building remained closed until it acquired the status of a National Theatre in 1940 and began a new phase during which it was directed successively by Luis Escobar, Huberto Pérez de la Ossa, Alfredo Marqueríe, Claudio de la Torre and José Luis Alonso.
With the re-establishment of democracy, in 1978 it became the headquarters of the National Drama Center, and its management was entrusted to Adolfo Marsillach.
After its last redesigning, since March 2003, Teatro María Guerrero is equipped with a second stage, Sala de la Princesa, for small-size performances, with a maximum seating capacity for of 120 people.